Kick Off Your Writing Career with an International Literary Seminar (ILS) Fellowship!
ILS is calling for Applications!
Applications are open until 7th September, 2022
International Literary Seminars (ILS) in collaboration with Jahazi Press is awarding full fellowships to three talented, emerging East African writers. The fellowships will cover tuition, travel and accommodation for the three recipients. These merit-based fellowships are designed for upcoming writers who are looking to grow their writing skills with the guidance of an experienced ILS faculty and a community of peer writers.
Fellows will benefit from the opportunity to work with distinguished faculty with extensive careers in writing and editing including Yvonne Owuor, Billy Kahora, Deborah Treisman, George Saunders, and Valeria Luiselli, among others. The full list of faculty can be viewed online at: www.internationalliteraryseminars.org/faculty.
ILS 2022 will launch in Nairobi where participants will interact with local and international writers as well as attend readings by core faculty members and guests. This will be followed by a week of writing workshops in Lamu.
All East African applicants will automatically be entered into the 2022 ILS Fiction Contest and considered for publishing in Yolk and Fence magazines. This will also be a unique opportunity to listen to New Yorker editor, Deborah Treismann and acclaimed short story writer, George Saunders.
Who may apply?
This call-out is open to individuals based in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan & Somalia. Priority will be given to emerging authors.
All participants must meet the following criteria:
- Be available between 6 – 20 December, 2022, and willing to travel between Nairobi and Lamu.
- Submit a writing sample that represents their best work as a Word Doc. Names must be included in the file title but not on the document. The sample should be unpublished, and be between 3000 – 6000 words.
- Upload writing sample to apply to the programme.
- 7 September – Submissions close
- 6 December – Program is launched
- 20 December – Program ends
NB: This program will be offered in English. Late applications will not be considered.